Wellington Equestrian Classifieds

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Equestrian Seniors 50+ Redefined
zwillm
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:37:08 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Yes, I am a senior.  When I say the word it doesn't make sense. It almost feels like if I am talking about someone else.  I feel 30,  look 45, and act much younger than 67.  Perhaps this is what "Young at Heart" means. The truth is, I like to think of myself as redefining the word "senior."  I am a babyboomer and I notice the difference between my generation and my brother's who is 13 years older.  We couldn't be more different.  

I wondered what seperated us besides age?  Was it our attitudes?  Or was it horses and living the equestrian lifestyle? I believe it has to do with the later.   In 2007, I was on the Oprah Winfrey Show for their Aging Brilliantly episode.  I was 55 at the time. Another woman, in her 70's, looked 50. I was amazed by her appearance and how young everyone looked.  Oprah came to the conclusion that we all looked younger than our age  because we all loved what we were doing.  I owned a website, EquestrianSingles.com at the time to which Oprah responded, "so you don't even have to ask if you love horses?"  When the show aired, my website crashed from the traffic.  But more than a boost in business,  I learned the secret to staying young when Oprah summed it up by saying, "Do what you love!

I still believe that to be true.  It's the secret that redefines seniors in my generation.  I love horses and I think they keep me young.  I recently started a group on Facebook called Equestrian Seniors and within a week almost 300 members signed up.  It showed me that others who are both equestrians and seniors, are still young at heart. We stay that way by living a healthy lifestyle, riding our horses, and sharing our dreams and goals with other horse enthusiasts. Their photos and stories suggest that we are all re-defning the word senior. Oprah was right, "Do what you love!"    What is your story?

Marcia